Monday, September 20, 2010

Pod Cast Ideas


I’m not 100% sure about which text I will be using, but I am considering the following texts:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone: is the book I am leaning towards now because is deals with every single issue listed while supporting 3 main characters who are highly relatable and very charismatic.
Classism: Harry himself has a small fortune while Ron and Lord Voldemort were impoverished.
Sexism: All of the most influential teachers seem to be male, as are all of the notable ministry workers.
Racism: Pure Bloods vs. Mud bloods, Wizards as “wand holders” vs. all other magical creatures (non-wand holders).

Con: I don’t want to ruin the series of my generation by a) digging around and ruining the pleasure of the book and b) not doing it justice in my podcast.


The Hundred Dresses: focuses on classism and gender issues.   I read this for a book club when I was in elementary school (4th grade), and I remember being deeply saddened by the way girls treat each other.  I would bring up different classroom management styles that could be used to prevent this type of issue from happening, and how important it is for both parents and teachers to lead by example and prevent a child from being singled out.

1 comment:

  1. Either book would work quite nicely. With the Harry Potter book I don't think you would ruin the experience for others but rather put on offer a different way of thinking about the text. It sounds though like the 100 dresses book moved you in particular ways. You might want to do a brainstorming of ideas for each to see which one you are most passionate about pursuing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete